Monday, November 21, 2011

4-5 Reflection

Kalman

In "Back to the Land " my purpose is to inform people who think their lifestyles are too busy to incorporate home grown vegetable that this isn't true.  Maira Kalman agrees that everyone is not a farmer, so I give examples how to live an agrarian lifestyle on a smaller scale.  One example is if you don't have the spacious land our forefathers had to grow  gardens, pots or some sort of container can be utilized on a smaller scale to grow vegetables on a patio. I used photos to compare and contrast the fast lifestyle of today's society to the slow,sometime laborious, lifestyle of our forefathers.  My point is to Urban society, you can have the fast lifestyle and still make time to eat healthy.


Neufeld

My intent is to provide evidence through Josh Neufeld's writing to those who have disbelief that disparity in race played a major role in the evacuation process of Hurricane Katrina. I used panels which depicted predominantly African American being controlled with guns by what appears to be a few Whites  Police Officers in squad cars and army tanks.  To show how desperate these people were for the basic necessity of life (f00dand water), I referred to the panels of looters and thugs. Also, to provide evidence these people thought they were taken to the Convention Center to die, I quoted from Neufeld's writing "They gonna open the floodgates and drown us!" (235).


Junod

In my essay, I am appealing to the family and friend of the victim Tom Junod focuses on in "The Falling Man".  The initial release of the image of the victim, was seen as taboo.  I am using Junod's description of  the victim's fall to dispel the use of suicide and other negative notions to bring some dignity to the victim.  My strategy is to use Junod's terms such as relaxed, comfortable, not appearing intimidated, and "if he were not falling, he might very well be flying"  in hope to release the notion of suicide which can be frowned upon.  My hope is with time my audience will come forward and positively identify the victim since we have photo(s) which gives a clear description of his face.  Junod's writing never clearly stated that this victim was positively identified.  Only that it might be Jonathan Briley.


                                                        



No comments:

Post a Comment