Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Journey

English 101 online was more of a challenge than I expected.   The conferences were very helpful;  they gave the online class a human aspect.  Blogging was a first for me, and I enjoyed it.   It was difficult finding my way around D2L, but I managed to maneuver my way through the process.  For me,  trying to write three pages from the work presented to the class was like pulling nails out of a wall with fingertips. but somehow I did it.  I definitely would keep the conferences, but I would eliminate the peer review. Although I did receive useful tips from classmates, I don't think a 101 class has the experience to critique the work of others.  My suggestion would be for students to list things helpful in their writing, and let fellow classmates select from that list what  fits them best.

Most of all I admired the willingness of our professor to give a helping hand.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I wanted to say thanks for the constructive feedback about the peer review. I hear mixed reactions about it (and I am ambivalent myself), but I know that the process is not so helpful when your peer reviewer fails to devote proper time to the review.

    I also appreciate your feedback about the different technologies (D2L, blogs) you had to use. As I get more and more experienced with these tools, it becomes harder for me to remember what it's like for someone new to blogging and D2L. So, I am glad to hear your perspective!

    I know that some things in the course didn't go as expected, and (as you say) it's a challenge to write these essays. I truly know how you feel, sitting in front of a blank page. It seems like you will never be able to say anything, but that is one of the most challenging things about writing. Just taking that step to *say something* even if it seems wrong or empty. You always came up with original interpretations of the texts we read, so you should feel proud for the way you made yourself "conquer" the white page and at least get some ideas down. That's more than a lot of students ever do.

    ReplyDelete