Monday, September 26, 2011

Thesis Statement/Purpose

"Back to the Land" uses large visuals  of fast people and fast food to help convey a message that our society is living an out of control lifestyle, because we abandon our forefathers simple agrarian lifestyle.  We must return to utilizing the lands organic resources as our primary means of support and sustenance to reset the mentally of our society.

My purpose is to get the attention of a audience who wants a healthier , slower pace of life, mainly the baby-boomers.  They partially created the attitude of wanting everything right now, bigger and faster. They are aging, and the economy has striped many of their wealth, so they will be interested in helping to bring back some simplicity.  This is an audience experienced in the hussle and bussle of life and understands the foundation of health, which is healthy eating.  They just got lost.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you target a specific market the baby-boomers! Will you do a survey to find out what specific geographical area you will be covering and where you best fit to help the most customers?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas here. Your thesis statement makes a lot of sense to me, and I can see this working very well in your essay. Just off the top of my head, I can think of many examples you can use as evidence in your paper. For example, Kalman doesn't just mention the founding fathers multiple times -- she also SHOWS us George Washington in an old painting on the last page of her essay. And why does she choose to show the painting with vegetables and the fatafat pills? Also, I think it may be difficult for you argue that she is depicting an "out of control lifestyle." You would need to find evidence from "Back to the Land" to show how you are seeing Kalman paint contemporary life as "out of control." In my reading, I see Kalman being fairly neutral and asking a lot of questions. She doesn't seem to depict anything too radically, so I am curious to see how you will develop your claim.

    I like how specific your concept of audience is. As I read your brief comments, I could see this audience of more mature Americans working for you. Also keep in mind that your readers will likely be associated with the university (UWM), so they will be expecting to see the conventions of an academic essay in your paper. We read and talked about these conventions earlier in the semester. Also, the Assignment 2-3 guidelines explain some of the conventions that your readers will expect.

    I'm looking forward to reading your draft!

    PS: please check your UWM email.

    ReplyDelete