Sunday, October 16, 2011

Digging in

Friday, September 23, 2011

Kalman's Reading

When I was assigned "Back to the Land" as a read, my first though was a boring difficult to read piece.  But, to my surprise, this was a educational and personal habit change reading for me.  I found it very interesting how the author use of our founding fathers as a pathos guide in the utilization of land through organic farming. Two other elements I found interesting about "Back to the Land" was the assertion of a slower pace of life and democracy.  The slower pace of life caught my attention, because everyone seems to be in such a hurry all the time, but with a desire for simplicity.  The use of democracy in the distribution of organic healthy food to the poor as  well as the rich was interesting, because you are what you eat; everyone should have the basic foundation for good health which is healthy food.  The utilization of our land in it natural state free of pesticides, a slower pace of life through simplicity and democracy for all in every way can bring back thatserenity and healthy eating we have destroyed over time that our forefather enjoyed. 

The repetition of farmers, and  the strand of fast (food, talk, walk) signifies that the composer is trying to convince the audience that our way of life has become out of control, and we can simplify it by reverting back to a simple lifestyle. 

It struck me as odd to cook an egg in a spoon over an open flame,  but I guess that is part of simplifying life.  This part  I can do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment