Monday, October 17, 2011

Assignment 3-2 New Orleans

Josh Neufeld's "A.D. New Orleans After the Deluge" panels paint a grim picture of disparity between the poor and rich in a natural disaster in America. If you are not at the table when decisions are made, you will be left behind when the resources from those decision are distributed.  Get an education a be at the table.

After reading "A.D. New Orleans After the Deluge", I developed an urgency to send a message to the poor to get educated and participate in the decision of America's government which affects everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, I love your word "urgency." This sounds a lot like the word Carlos used to describe the emotions in the comic: "heightened." I think you definitely can use that urgent sense of heightened emotions in your own interpretation, to capture the attention of your own readers.

    I have lots of questions about your focus on "getting an education," but I know it's still early in the process of writing your paper draft! I do wonder about the purpose of "sending a message to the poor to get educated and participate in the decision of America's government" -- I wonder if this is your purpose in writing, or if you believe this is Neufeld's purpose? And if it is Neufeld's purpose, does he suggest ways that this education can happen? Does he give opportunities or propose real avenues through which this change could take place?

    At any rate, I am engaged with the conviction in your statements, and I hope that you can maintain that spirit as you develop your interpretation and find examples from the text to support your analysis and your thesis statement.

    ReplyDelete